Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash
People often ask me how I can afford to travel as often as I do. One of the ways I can indulge my passion for travel is by having a side hustle. The sole purpose of my side hustle is to generate cash for my travel adventures. I composed a list of 10 potential ways to earn money for travel that you probably never really considered. With a little creativity, I am sure you can find some coins to feed your wanderlust.
1. Teach English Online– If you have at least a bachelors degree in any subject and are a native English speaker you can find a job teaching English. Companies like DaDa ABC, 51 Talk, and VIP Kids pay $16 an hour or more to teach English. (New Chinese Government rules which may be instituted soon will require a TEFOL, TEFL, CELTA certificate. A TEFOL or TEFL can be obtained easily enough by purchasing a course on Groupon. Shop around because the course can be obtained for as little as $25.)
2. Freelance work. VA’s or Virtual Assistants are in high demand. Websites like Fiverr and Upwork are platforms used by those seeking freelance work. If you have administrative, coding, graphic design, or social media management experience this might be the gig for you. If you don’t have any of the above skills but still want to try your hand at freelance work try an app called Field Agent. By entering your zip code you will be matched with a job in your area if available. The jobs on field agent simply require you to take pictures of story inventory or ask store personnel minor questions Pay is determined by Job accepted.
3. Sell unwanted items– Utilize sites such as on eBay, and Facebook marketplace or apps such as let go, offer up, or Poshmark to sell unwanted and unneeded possessions.
4. Rent out extra space– Leverage your extra space by Renting out your spare bedroom on Air B&B. If you live in an area which doesn’t have strict zoning codes you could even rent out your driveway, or backyard to RV’rs using sites such as RV with me.
5. Complete surveys for cash. Research companies such as Focus Pointe, Schlesinger Group, and PVR research which pay qualified participants to complete in office surveys and participate in focus groups.
6. Pet sit- Indulge in your love of animals and make extra cash at the same time by offering pet sitting services.
7. Sell Photostock – If you have a decent camera with the capability to take high-resolution photos you might try your hand at selling stock photography on sites such as Shutterstock, and Getty Images or via an app called FOAP. FOAP even accepts photos taken on a camera phone.
8. Drive for Cash– If you have an automobile, decent driving record, and insurance you might consider driving for Uber, Lyft, Postmates, or Instacart.
9. Sell unwanted gift cards– Did you get a gift card from Secret Santa from a store you loathe?
Sell all unwanted or unneeded gift cards at a cardpool kiosk or ACE Cash Express location for cash.
10. Monetize the skills you have.– Design a course to teach someone a skill that you possess and sell that course on sites such as Udemy or Ofcourse.